Linda J. Silver, M.S., Ed.S. is the Executive Director and Founder of Silver & Associates Educational Consulting Solutions. She is an expert in the field of Section 504, an award winning certified school counselor, a nationally recognized speaker and published author advocating for students with disabilities. Linda’s training and work experiences have given her a unique perspective on children, schools and school district dynamics.
How did she begin her educational career?
“My educational career began as a Spanish teacher in a middle school in Connecticut. I’ve been fortunate to have had the opportunity to work in both urban and suburban school settings Pre-K-12th grade. The experiences I had as a Teacher, Guidance Director, Educational Leader, District Guidance Coordinator and District Section 504/ADA Specialist for the 6th largest school district in the United States gave me the unique opportunity to interact with thousands of students, families, educators, and community leaders.
I was selected to work at the school district level in administrative positions serving grades Pre-K to 12 for Broward County Schools, Ft. Lauderdale, FL the 6th largest school district in the United States. In my roles as the School District Section 504/ADA Specialist and as the School District Guidance Coordinator for the School Board of Broward County, Florida I oversaw over 340 schools with over 265,000 students.”
Who has recognized Linda for her work with students?
- Who’s Who of American Women
- Selected as “State of Florida School Counselor of the Year” by Florida School
Counselor Association (FSCA)
- Selected as “School Counselor of the Year” Broward County Schools, FL
- Recipient of a Citibank Success Fund Grant
- Recognized by Imagine Charter School at Broward as a Governing Board Member
for her 3 – year term of service
- As an award winning bi-lingual Guidance Director, asked to pilot a national
bi-lingual guidance program “Llevándonos Bien” (Getting Along Well with Others)
What are some of her other recent accomplishments?
- Speaker at LRP National Institute on Legal Issues of Educating Individuals with Disabilities -“IDEA, Section 504 and the Student Receiving FAPE at Home“
- Speaker at LRP National Institute on Legal Issues of Educating Individuals with Disabilities – “Section 504 Requests or Accommodations That Seem Out of the Ordinary“
- Selected to present at inaugural Educating All Students with Excellence (EASE) Conference – “What Administrators Really Need to Know About Chronically Ill Students“
- Ms. Silver was asked to write for several educational journals and her article, “Transition Section 504 Plans from Elementary to Middle School” was published in the Section 504 Compliance Advisor, a national LRP publication. Also published on the Special Ed Connection’s e-Connections website
- Selected as a participant for the Harvard Summer Institute on College Admissions
- Selected as a participant for the Independent Educational Consultants Association
Summer Training Institute on Educational Consulting Practices and Principles at
Swarthmore College in Pennsylvania
- Created the brochure, “Post-Secondary Services on College Campuses for Students with Disabilities” for National College Fair
Speaker at Florida League of Middle Schools Region VII Conference – “Section 504From Referral to Placement”
- Selected to present on the topic, “Working with Students with Chronic Illnesses in the School Setting” at 38th Annual LRP’s National Institute on Legal Issues of Educating Individuals with Disabilities
- Chairperson for National Association for College Admissions Counseling (NACAC)
National College Fair together with The School Board of Broward County, FL (over
10,000 students and their families attended the National College Fair)
What is her personal mission?
“I want to help parents and educators understand the everyday implications of Section 504 in school settings and post-secondary environments. Assisting students, families and educators has never been a job for me, it has been my life’s work and passion. Although following Section 504 law is the same for every school district, working with parents and school districts is always rewarding as each family, district, and staff are unique and no two students or school districts’ needs are the same.”
How can we help you?
Let Silver & Associates Educational Consulting Solutions help you navigate the educational process. We educate families in the Section 504 process to ensure your child’s individual educational needs are being met. We work with school districts to stay in compliance under Section 504 law.